Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Wednesday Weekly Reheat


THE WEEKLY REHEAT

The review will consist of the following: What I ate, What I liked about it; What I didn’t like about it; Any additions I made to it; What I cooked it in; A score that will be out of ♥♥♥♥♥ with 5 being the highest in the lovin’ factor – Enjoy!

Hello everyone!  This week I was much more diligent when taking photos of food!  So this week we had some of the following meals:

Veggie Scrambled Eggs with Prosciutto:  How can you go wrong with eggs, veggies and meat?  This was a great use what you have meal on a day that was too hot to cook much of anything else!  ♥♥♥♥
 
 Flat bread topped with Screamin' Ridge Pesto, Zucchini & Squash slices, and Cabot Cheddar cheese with a side of Steamed Baby Bok Choy coated with Olive Oil and red pepper flakes:  Nom!  While this dough is not ideal for making traditional thick crust pizzas (I used the Jim Lehay No-Knead Pizza Dough and froze the extra dough) it is great for flat-breads since it gets nice and crispy!  I had some leftover zucchini slices and yellow summer squash so I roughly chopped those into pieces and topped it all with Cabot extra-sharp cheddar.  It was a great change from supper heavy pizzas ♥♥♥♥.  On the side I took 3 baby bok choy and tore the leaves off the stem/stalk and rinsed each leaf individual to get rid of excess dirt.  I took the leaves and cooked them in a steamer basket.  After they were cooked, I tossed them in a dish of olive oil, red pepper flakes, garlic powder & onion powder.  ♥♥♥
Pan Roasted Chicken Leg with Grandma M.B.'s classic stuffing:  having lots of leftover odds & ends bread pieces in the freezer, I took the initiative and made stuffing with celery, carrots, onion, seasoned ground beef meatballs coarsely chopped and of course herbs.  For a reheat meal, it was a great dinner.  The chicken leg was 1/2 of one that Chef Z had made one night before so on a reheat of 2 minutes it was nice and juicy ♥♥♥♥.  The stuffing was not so good on the reheat, even when I sprinkled it was additional water.  The veggies were great, but the bread was just too hard.  I guess that the bread was just too stale the first time around and the additional cook time didn't help♥♥.   
Roasted Veggie Au Gratin: Here is one of my lazy dinner creations that turned out great!  I took a square glass baking dish that fits in our toaster oven (this is a great alternative to a real oven during hot weather) and coated it with a generous amount of olive oil.  I then chopped up 3/4 of a medium sized zucchini, 3/4 of a yellow summer squash, and approximately 5 nice sized cherry tomatoes and tossed them in the baking dish and made sure that they were all coated with oil.  Once coated I spread them so they made an even layer in the dish.  In a small bowl I took bread crumbs, red pepper flakes, Romano cheese, salt & pepper and mixed them together.  I then took the topping and sprinkled it evenly over the top of the baking dish.    I then baked it at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese was browned.  While this was baking, I took a variety of pasta that we had in odds and ends and cooked it.  When the vegetables were done, I took a small amount of pasta and topped it with the veggies.  I really enjoyed it and it didn't heat up the house too much! ♥♥♥♥  On the reheat it wasn't quite as good.  The noodles got a little dried out.  The veggies did hold up better on the reheat in the toaster oven.  But not so well in the microwave.  ♥♥

Come join us tomorrow to see what treats we are getting in Week 9 of our CSA!


1 comment:

  1. I know this is a super old post and you may have already been given a suggestion on how to reheat pasta but I thought I'd post anyway since I'm going through your blog for inspiration. To reheat pasta in the microwave put it in a microwave-safe container and cover with water and heat on medium until heated through. Your pasta won't be dry any longer!

    ReplyDelete