Wednesday, May 19, 2010

GREEK NIGHT!!


Over the weekend we got in the mood for Greek and being as we had the supplies, our interpretation of a Greek meal was created. Chef Z covered most of the meal and I made the cucumber salad 2 ways. Chef Z's with cucumber, onion, cider vinegar, salt and pepper and mine with cucumber, onion, dill, cider vinegar, and sugar. To go with the salad, Chef Z made a fabulous rack of lamb and whole wheat couscous with shallot and stone ground mustard. A traditional tzatziki sauce was served on the side.



So this rack of lamb was the best that I've every had. Typically lamb is a little gamey (basically it tastes like iron), but this rack was ridiculously good! Basically we were able to have pure lamb, it was fucking amazing. Although I did have a hell of a time cleaning it, there was cartilage that I have never seen before, it was totally worth it. I'm telling you people, I tasted lamb.... just lamb, not game, not iron, just lamb. First time in my life I have ever tasted anything like that and I went to culinary school.

So being us, we save whatever we can. We luckily had some left over jus from a leg of lamb that I braised. We found it in the freezer and decided that it would be a great accoutrement to the rack, along with the tzatziki.

I started by sweating shallots and garlic, then I added a little red wine and reduced au sec (barely dry). I put the lamb jus in then I reduced the jus by about 60%, leaving just a glace for us to use, but man was it good.

For a starch I just made a mustard and shallot couscous, nothing special, just trying to keep with the theme, actually turned out kind good despite my throwing it together at the last second.

We were very happy with the meal, not much talking going on, just noms. We were literally sucking on the bones. Don't think this had much to do with the preparation as much as the quality of the meat, but damn was it a good meal. Hope you all get to enjoy a rack of lamb as good as the one we got, oh yeah, we got two more in the fridge bitches so be jealous.


---- Chef Z & M.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment