Tuesday, March 30, 2010

First Night



Grilled Lamb Loin Chops with Roasted Root Vegetables

Just had some pastured lamb loin chops from Bonnieview Farms, marinated in:





We got some garlic, chilies, mustard, rosemary, cumin (whole), bourbon, Worcestershire sauce, and olive oil. You never want to salt a marinade or you'll end up with a big salty mess. Stuck all this in a bag, placed the bag in a bowl afterward to make sure the marinade evenly coats all the meat. Marinated for about an hour in the fridge. Eventually grilled on the indoor grill, the bones made getting a consistent temperature difficult; would use an outside grill or oven the next time. I found that the whole chilies really didn't do anything, and the cumin only flavored the fat. I would crush both next time. Overall, though, I will be using this recipe again.

For the side dish, I just roasted some potatoes and carrots with olive oil, salt and pepper. Needed to season the potatoes a little more (even though I thought I over seasoned) those suckers can really suck up salt. I used a cast iron skillet, if seasoned correctly these bad boys are freaking awesome. Place some oil in the pan, then spread it around with a paper towel. Never use soap to clean the pan, if you do you will kill any seasoning you have.


All in all, for a meat share, this would not have fed a family. It was damn tasty but the fat to muscle ratio was a bit skewed, especially for such a nice cut of meat. My suggestion would be to trim a little of the fat off before cooking and, obviously, buy some more. Unfortunately that can be pretty expensive if you are buying from a butcher or grocery store.

End Yield: 2 small dinners, and 1 small lunch.

Weekly reheat info on Saturday

1 comment:

  1. This looks great I'm going to try it myself thanks Kurt

    ReplyDelete